20% Off + Free Shipping on all Fitness Items Now

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Anniversary..

"Heavy Deadlifts"
3-3-3-3-3

Work your way up to 5 solid 'working sets' of 3.  If you have anything left after your last set, you didn't go hard enough.
Post loads to comments.

Mark, Brett and Nick on his first day.

Brett's one year anniversary of CrossFit at Off The Grid.
He was our first client and has made tremendous gains in every facet of CrossFit.  He is now Level 1 Certified and looking to add to his fitness resume a certification in CrossFit Running and Endurance in April.  As we stated earlier, Brett is a great addition to the OTG family and we probably would have never met him if it wasn't for CrossFit.  

Here's Brett's OTG Testimonial:

This month makes it one year that I've been training Crossfit. Looking back on how far I have come in this short year, I realize I've made immense gains but still have much I would like to accomplish. I just want to share a bit about how I got involved with Crossfit and what its done 
for me. It was late 2007 / early 2008 when I was reading through Navyseals.com (becoming a SEAL has been a dream of mine for years) that I ran across a fitness article talking about this thing called
 Crossfit. It was being used by military, law enforcement, and Navy Seals in particular. Crossfit...hmm if Navy SEALs are using it, I outta check it out. From there I found crossfit.com and started watching the videos: Greg A's JI Jane, Rob Miller's Jason, OPT's Helen, Pat Barber's Dianne, etc. These guys along with the likes of Speal, Brendan Gillian were so impressive with their ability to 
do these workouts with weights, their own bodyweight, or a combination and do it with an intensity I hadn't seen before. I wanted to be like those guys and train like them too! Unfortunately there were no affiliate gyms near by. Damn.   Wilmington and Philly were just too far away.

Enter Crossfit Off the Grid... Another couple months went by. I read another Crossfit article entitled "God's Workout" which begins "The superfit walk among us." That pretty much says it all.  I did another search and found a gym in Williamstown, just down the road from where I grew up. I couldn't have gotten any luckier! The trainers were super excited about Crossfit and
 so was I. The workouts were awesome and Nick and Mark couldn't have been any cooler. I felt right at home and since then I havn't looked back. Constantly varied functional movements are at the heart of Crossfit programming with increasing work capacity as the goal. The training and being involved in the Crossfit community has changed the way I think about health, fitness, nutrition and has made me fitter, stronger, and healthier.  Just over a year ago at about 190lbs I was following a "bodybuilders" lifting and eating routine. Lots of drinking protein shakes, weight gainer, and eating protein bars were the way to fuel my training.  I wanted to get BIG and strong.  Typical workouts were back/bis, chest/tris, legs, shoulders/calves.  Much different from the Crossfit methodology of training the body as a whole.  

My diet also had a total transformation.  I was absorbing as much information as I could about the Zone and started making these eating habits my own.  Since then I've tried to adapt as much paleo into my diet as possible.  I'm now 173lbs and doing somewhere between 17-19 blocks a day with 3x fat (if I were to do true paleo I would need to cut out milk, cottage cheesepeanut butter and cashews). About a quarter of those carb blocks I replace with extra fat, and my PWO meal is usually a bit on the carb high side. 
I look forward to even more PR's this coming year and absolutely cannot wait for the new facility.

The Triple Threat Abmat Challenge
Day 3 - 9
Buy In - 18

5 comments:

brett said...

Somebody was up early!

Higher Order Living said...

Just 4 you!

sert11 said...

congrats brett

BOBBY O said...

CONGRADULATIONS BRET

pcleary said...

congrats brett! I look forward to my one year, the results are incredible so far.